A little progress

Posted by J. on Saturday, January 24, 2009

(Building 7 on Rock Creek campus - home of my Biology courses)

It's been a productive week this week. With MLK day, a good portion of my classes only met once this week, but there has been a lot going on. At this point, all of my classes have at least one graded assignment back, and I'm holding at As in all classes (minor point of pride - I got the only 100% on my biology lab quiz!), so I'm pretty enthused. Admittedly, this is the easy end of the term, but it's a good start. The first quiz for my lecture portion of my Biology class is coming up on Monday... I'm more than a little nervous, but hopeful. Biology is still proceeding at warp speed; the teacher keeps on indicating that we'll cover each of these subjects in more detail later, but it's frustrating all the same. On the one hand, I'm getting just enough to see that each of these pieces could be fascinating if I had a chance to figure them out, but on the other, the pace and minimal depth is forcing me to approach this almost purely as rote memorization, rather than understanding of the underlying principles. At the least, it feels like I'm heading in the right direction.

On the personal side, we've been trying to take care of long term medical concerns before our insurance from Netflix runs out. Eden had her first dental exam in a while, which was a really bad experience. Basically, the dentist herself was incompetent, and she had her dental assistants do a large portion of the procedures, for which they weren't adequately trained. A whole lot of "Oops.." going on, and an incredible amount of pain for Eden. We had to abort without getting a mold done for a new cap. When we took her to another dentist (this time a known quantity, one that's been a family friend and her father's dentist for a long time), his comment was that her mouth had been carved to hamburger. Possibly not the most professionally stated opinion, but it did a lot to help her feel justified in having left.

Yesterday was dealing with the optometrist and getting set up for glasses, which meant that both Eden and I had super-huge manga eyes all evening from the dilation drops. Unfortunately, it also meant paying for the exams out of pocket, dramatically reducing my available funds again, as there was yet another issue with getting insurance straight, which is an annoying theme lately. It vexes me to no end, as I paid for the maximum coverage available through Netflix for everything, and we've had nothing but hassles in redeeming said insurance. I've never had such issues with any other insurance I've ever been covered by.

Planning for the wedding has proceeded in fits and spurts; I think we're both incredibly intimidated by how much there is to handle, at least I know I am. We're not even dealing with the money end of things yet (that's going to be ugly, no matter how much of this we try to handle in a frugal manner), but just trying to figure out how this is all going to happen, how it even _can_ happen, is pretty crazy. Both sets of parents are being supportive, but unfortunately have just as many questions as we do, and even less answers.

Ah well. In the end, it's all to try and build a life together. One way or another, we'll get there.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)