Maybe it's not quite that bad....

Posted by J. on Friday, May 22, 2009


School has been hectic, crazy, and discouraging lately... extemes in all three cases. I did get the score back on my Anatomy practical, as well as the second midterm, both landing in the D range, which is really upsetting, especially because I thought I did very well on the second midterm. My math midterm I did very well on for the actual answers, not so well on in terms of illustrating how I got there (in precisely the manner the teacher wanted), which pretty much murdered my score; when the instructor mailed it back to me the entire thing was pretty much just covered in his green chickenscratch. Ironically, the chemistry couse seems to be going very well still - if nothing else, the hours of homework seem to hammer in the concepts ok.

With the scores on the two latest big things in A&P and my general feeling of just being overwhelmed and lost with the sheer volume of information each week (all vocabulary and visual stuff, not concepts - I do much, much better at holding on to concepts), I put a lot of thought into whether or not I should withdraw from the course and just take it again this fall. I had convinced myself that my grade had to be in the D range and likely to fall. Fortunately, my instructor is a good guy and willing to lend a (digital) ear - turns out that with everything balanced out, I've still got a 74% in lab (35% of grade) and a 77% in lecture (65% of grade), which actually puts a B still in reach, in theory. Don't think I'll get it, but I feel much more confident about at least holding a C if I pretty much devote half my life to studying for the next few weeks. Final practical in lab is in 12 days and the lecture final is on June 8th. Eden is being very supportive during this time, which I really, really appreciate.

As a side effect of getting myself worked up over this, I took the time to calculate current grades in my other two classes, and am not doing bad, considering how out of control this all feels. As of right now, I stand at a 83.5% in Chemistry and a 75% in Trig.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)